Monday, February 25, 2013

Discovering Hidden Talents

     I feel the need to state before this post that the word talent is used very loosely. It is extremely subjective as to whether there is any real talent involved, but moreso the ambition or will to do something.
     I think going without a kitchen and the ability to cook for three months, has brought out my inner Betty Crocker.  I have never enjoyed more in my life, baking and cooking.  And experimenting! Part of it, I think, is having the time.  Ok, probably most of it.  Baking is expecially satisfying to me. And John is benefiting from that as well as all the workers and our guardians.  There are things you can't buy here as far as ingredients, but that just makes things all the more challenging.  For the most part, there is a good substitute.  The first time I made something with sour cream, I am 99% sure it wasn't sour cream I used.  But, it turned out great!
     John is also working on his talents.  Of course, they were always there as well, but he just never had the time to use them.  He has been working on installing light fixtures for me.  Now, this may not sound difficult to the average person, but you have to remember, the ceilings here are made of cement.  So this involves chipping out a space for the designated light fixture.  And it is not easy!  What would normally been done in a couple hours has taken a couple days.  But, we really did want to experience the Ecuadorian life so here it is! 
     We are sincerely enjoying the beautiful weather here.  It really couldn't be any nicer, with the gentle ocean breeze coming off the ocean most all the time. Which brings me to this morning, where the breeze for some reason, decided to stop. Completely.  While I was in the kitchen preparing to make my next project, I noticed I was sweating.  A lot.  So, as I grabbed my sweat towel, I was inspired by a bit of self-written poetry.  Now is the time I will refer back to the first paragraph of this blog post.  So, I am going to put myself and my "talents" out there and share the little ditty that came to me;
The breeze has ceased,
I am on my knees,
With sweat between my breests,
Saying please, please, please,
I need a breeze!
I, personally thought it was very good, my first shot at poetry.  John, not so much. Boy, he is a tough critic!
     We really don't have much to complain about as far as weather.  Seriously.  I think averaged year round, it is probably the best.  That is if you don't like snow and cold.  Which is us.  We are plugging along with our construction.  Crossing our fingers and hoping for a Grand Opening towards the end of April.  The swimming pool construction started today and we are told it will take a month.  But we have to remember, the Ecuadorian interpretation of time and ours is quite different.  So we will not hold our breath and just be happy when it is finished.
    Annabel has turned into quite the guard dog for us. She alerts us when someone she doesn't know is in the front of the house, which is great.  Now we just have to find her "off" button.  She is a really good dog with great instincts.  Josie doesn't seem to interested in protecting the casa, but she does follow Annabel's lead once she starts. 
    The breeze is starting back up, so it is time to head back to the kitchen.  Enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment